Monday, July 14, 2014

Romance Novel

Name: Marhamah
B.IV.1



Daydreaming

Flying high above the clouds, I looked down, shocked at the beauty of the countryside. I could see a light breeze go through the trees below me, of course, I was too high to feel it. I looked behind me, just for fun. My golden hair flying fast behind me, my wings, an iridescent mix of purples, pinks and blues, shined as they flapped. I angled my body and swooped down as I passed a lake and scooped up some water. I took it back up to the clouds, not spilling a drop.

I listened to the wind that flew past me. It almost seemed to call my name.

"Taylor. Taylor." I closed my eyes, listening carefully. It was definitely calling me now.

"Taylor. Taylor." It almost started to sound annoyed. Whatever, I was enjoying this way too much to care.

"TAYLOR!!" My eyes snapped open, only I wasn't in the sky anymore. Mrs. Jenson, my Algebra teacher was in front to me, looking very, very mad. "Welcome back, Ms. Evernight, so nice you could join us," sarcasm was apparent in her voice. Yeah, she was mad. "Now perhaps you would be so kind to answer my question?"

"Oh, right, um, x equals two-hundred ninety-one and three tenths." I answered absentmindedly. She looked shocked, actually the whole class did. Then I realized what I said and was shocked myself, I had no idea what she even asked.

"Yes, that is correct, but, that doesn't give you a pass to daydream again. Pay attention." she said, still amazed at what I did. I nodded knowing that I wouldn't listen to her.

Mrs. Jenson moved to the chalkboard and wrote some notes we needed to copy down. I started to copy them, but then I started to stare out the window, drifting back into a daydream. The sound of the bell ringing brought me out of it this time. I scrambled to get my stuff together and ran out the door.

When I got to my locker Mellina Henderson, my best friend, was already there. Well, she was at her locker, but it is right next to mine. I shoved my Algebra book in my locker and grabbed my Biology notes and book. My locker door closed and Mellina slid in front of it, and me.

"So, what was it this time? Swimming? Running? Princess? Elves?" she asked. Okay, I'll admit it; I have a bit of an imagination.

"Flying, it was so real. I could actually feel the wind in my hair."

"Was I there?" she asked, practically jumping up and down. She loves to hear about my daydreams-and regular ones too-and always wants to be a part of one. But, it's kind of like I have no control over them.

"Oh, um, yeah." I lied, unconvincingly.

"Don't lie to me," she said, crestfallen. "You're really bad at it."

"I'm sorry. But, I did feel your presence." That wasn't a lie at least. I did feel the presence of someone-or something. I think it was Mell. At least, I hope it was.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, oh, hey, could I borrow your Algebra notes? I started daydreaming after the first section." I pulled out my notes and showed her.

"What are you talking about? These are even better than mine. See?" She said flipping through pages in my notebook. I looked and saw almost two pages of notes, all in perfect order.

"But I...how?” I managed to stutter out, amazed.

"I don't know, but I think we better get to class. Don't you?" we hurried of to Biology, then we parted ways and I went off to World History, Study Hall and Free Period all flew by in daydreams. Eventually I went home and did-at least, I think I did-my homework. It was done either way.

I was daydreaming about flying again when my mom called me. I went downstairs to see what she wanted. She was getting off her cell phone and was typing something on her laptop. She didn't even look up when I came into her study.

"That was your Algebra teacher I just got off the phone with."

"Oh."

"She says you are very bright, but don't seem to be focusing. That you are daydreaming? What's going on, Taylor? I thought you said you were going to quit this daydreaming nonsense. Was that not what you said, or was I mistaken?"

"It isn't nonsense, it's-"

"Don't start with me, young lady. You know as well as I do, that it is nonsense. I didn't spend all of that money to send you to the best private school in the state, just for you to ruin it by daydreaming. Now, get your head out of the clouds, and think about your future. Because, if you don't nip this in the butt, you won't have one. Do you understand?" I nodded. "Good, now, go do your homework."

"I already did."

"Then go do...I don't care, just go do something that doesn't involve daydreaming."

"Okay, bye." I left her typing away at her computer and dialing someone on her cell. Knowing I wouldn't stop daydreaming. It was my release, she just doesn't get it, refuses to understand. So busy working and focusing on "the future" she forgets everything else, and doesn't care about it either.

I went back to my room and started to clean it. I threw my backpack on my unmade bed and started organizing my books. About halfway through, I started to daydream again. I pulled a nearby book to me and opened it to a random page, so my mom would just think I was reading if she checked on me.


I was standing in a courtyard, with snow falling all around me. I was wearing a pure white halter dress, barefoot. Cherry blossoms mixed with the snow. Frozen cherry blossoms were in my hair, which fell over my wings.

I tested my wings gingerly, afraid they would disappear-although they never did. I started flying, higher than I thought possible. I could see everything around me, it was beautiful. I spun around a couple times, just for fun, arms out, and something incredible happened. Some of the snow that was falling melted and the water followed my outstretched arms. I stopped spinning and stared. I lowered my arms and the water started to fall. I raised my arms quickly, while practically yelling "Freeze." And, get this, the water actually froze. I'm talking frozen, like ice.

I lowered my arms again, this time mentally telling the water to stay put. And it did. I started experimenting, moving my arms around, giving both mental and verbal commands, and just playing around.

"Well, at least you can follow my orders...For once." The voice was cold as steel, heartless, snapped me out of my daydream and was my mother's. I stared at her confused. Happy she thought I really was reading. "I should let you get back to work, shouldn't I?" I nodded, unsure what she was talking about, but I didn't care. I watched her leave then flew myself onto my made bed, sending stuffed animals flying.

I looked up amazed; my room was almost completely clean. I had no idea how that happened. I wasn't that freaked out, though-but I probably should have been. I was just happy it was clean. I looked at the alarm clock on my bed stand, eight-thirty P.M., I was shocked. It was only six when I started.

I finished cleaning my room, and was completely exhausted. I got ready for bed. I laid down and promptly fell asleep.

I was back in the courtyard but everything was different. I was in the same clothes, but the snow and cherry blossoms were gone, and everything looked dead. I felt something behind me and abruptly turned around. Nothing was there. I turned back around. I started to fly, but this time it was rough and hard to. I felt someone watching me again. I started moving away but it followed me. I was getting really freaked out now. Everywhere I went the feeling followed, sometimes getting stronger, but never dying down. Suddenly my wings disappeared. I started screaming as I plummeted to the ground. This is no ordinary dream, I thought, not knowing whether falling here would kill me or not. I was about to find out. I let out one last bloodcurdling scream before I hit the ground.

I woke up in my bed gasping for air. Afraid to fall asleep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment